Monday, January 24, 2011

Doily Daze....

I recently discovered that I love making doilies, something I never thought I would enjoy.

To be honest, up until a few weeks ago, I just couldn't understand why anyone would want to make anything (even a bookmark) with a hook smaller then 4mm. Then I found some pretty pink thread at a local thrift store and thought maybe I would try making something out of. I couldn't believe it when a the pattern I decided on called for a 1.5mm hook and just couldn't justify using something so small. So I rebelled a little and decide on a 1.75 hook.

It was my grandmothers hook, like almost all my hooks are, and almost instantly I felt I was channeling her and her ability. My grandmother and I never saw eye to eye about anything but when I'm holding one of her tiny hooks in my hand and working the thread as I'm sure she did I feel connected to a women who seemed to battle with me about everything.

My pretty pink doily is done now and waiting to be pressed. I've moved on too a sunflower doily that is much bigger then I thought it would be. Doilies, I have found, take longer then other projects but are totally worth the time and effort.

I will post pictures and the links to the patterns I've been working on tomorrow, after the projects are done and ironed out. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...